Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thinking in the Bathtub, Birthday 47

Follows...some thoughts on my 47th birthday:

  • My life has spanned two centuries. Now, before you think that is old, anyone born before January 1, 2000 can say that.

  • Like James Taylor I can say, “I've seen fire and I've seen rain, I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end, I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend...” You can take it from there.

  • I've had my feet in 15 states not counting, Euphoria, Confusion or Discontent.

  • I have seen both solar and lunar eclipses as well as meteor showers and the tails of two comets.

  • There have been five Popes, ten Presidents and six Archbishops of Canterbury in my lifetime.

  • I've churned butter, picked strawberries, tailed green beans, popped fresh peas and shelled beans. I have also eaten hot tomatoes in the field as the migrant workers ate them at the same time.

  • I have milked both cows and goats, goats are more dangerous and I am lactose sensitive.

  • Though I was young, I know where I was when John F. Kennedy was assassinated and I remember the funeral. (I was watching Popeye and Janie, it happened right after Beanie and Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent.)

  • Again, I was young, but I remember the “I Have A Dream,” speech.

  • I cried in Junior High Geography class while a plane filled with Vietnam POWs deplaned in the United States.

  • I have read East of Eden and loved it and watched East of Eden and hated it.

  • I have held my newborn nephew in the hospital and in a very lame Darth Vader voice said, “Luke, I am not your father.”

  • I have seen each of my two nieces and three nephews come home from the hospital wrapped in the same shawl that I came home in as well as each of my three sisters.

  • There have been tears of joy, sadness, grief, fear and disappointment come from my eyes.

  • I have laughed at jokes, falls, funerals, weddings and family reunions.

  • There have been rants, raves and disbelief in my life, several of them before noon today.

  • I have interrupted my mother while canning peaches. It was August of 1960, I made her go into labor. (As if canning peaches wasn't labor enough.)

  • Peaches are my favorite fruit.

  • I've made friends, lost friends and missed friends.

  • I've read, written, sang, drawn, painted, hand lettered and faux finished. In fact, I like to think that my death will be a faux finish.

  • I've celebrated, lamented, feared and dreaded birthdays, all in the same day.

  • I've had nightmares of playing naked Twister with the Golden Girls.

  • I have lived in hopes of finding someone to share my life with, the search has spanned two centuries. This is when it seems like a really long time.

  • Man has walked on the moon during my tenure here.

  • I've been under the Golden Gate Bridge and avoided Alcatraz.

  • I've been a Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist and always a Christian.

  • I have been witness to first steps and last breaths.

  • I have sat through Gone With The Wind, The Ten Commandments and some really bad sermons.

  • I was vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

  • I've never been on a property owned by Disney, unless you count the mall stores.

  • I own a Mickey Mouse watch.

  • I've been given “truth serum” and gave my opinion on Wellington Boots while under it's influence.

  • I have cranked ice cream.

  • I've owned three bikes, a 1969 Ford Falcon and a 1976 Ford Mustang Anniversary Edition.

  • I have learned this advice from a very dear friend, no longer with us, “Birthdays are a luxury that many cannot afford.”.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don,
I really liked this post. It's fun to take measure and assess. Fun, sometimes scary, but mostly fun.
David

2:54 PM  
Blogger Don Bryant said...

David,
I wrote this entry out on paper while in the bathtub Calgoning on my birthday. The scariest part was that I might drop my paper in the water and have to start over.

Actually, I had a less than stellar day and I did find it helpful to soak and think and write, all at the same time.
Don

5:14 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Happy birthday Don!

You and I share many church phases, and peaches are my favorite fruit, too! Well, sometimes watermelon is right up there, but peaches are so much more portable.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Don Bryant said...

Troy,
Thank you for the kind birthday wishes. I look back at my list and I think, "you've been around a most unusual trip, and then I realize, anyone could make a list that would be somewhat similar."

Watermelon is good, but it doesn't smell like a beach for have a beard.
Thanks again,
Don

9:52 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, cheap jordans, uggs on sale, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, tiffany jewelry, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, christian louboutin, michael kors, burberry factory outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp bags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin, ralph lauren polo, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, louis vuitton, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, longchamp outlet, michael kors handbags, ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet online, gucci handbags, louboutin uk, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, cheap oakley sunglasses

7:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon outlet, ray ban uk, nike air max pas cher, abercrombie and fitch UK, kate spade outlet, hermes pas cher, coach outlet, north face pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, converse, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, north face uk, burberry pas cher, hogan sito ufficiale, polo ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, nike roshe run pas cher, michael kors, nike free, lunette ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, nike air max, lunette oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, polo lacoste pas cher, nike roshe uk, longchamp soldes, jordan pas cher, sac guess pas cher, michael kors uk, coach purses, nike air force, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, new balance, nike free pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike tn pas cher, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, vanessa bruno pas cher

7:44 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose pas cher, canada goose jackets, lancel, replica watches, moncler jackets, moncler, converse shoes outlet, coach outlet, ray ban, pandora charms, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, supra shoes, sac louis vuitton, moncler outlet, ugg uk, bottes ugg pas cher, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses uk, hollister, barbour, swarovski jewelry, louis vuitton uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, moncler uk, vans scarpe, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, links of london uk, moncler, doke & gabbana, moncler, sac louis vuitton, nike air max, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski uk, pandora uk, karen millen uk, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, barbour jackets uk, canada goose, canada goose uk, canada goose, pandora jewelry, converse, gucci

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home