Sunday, December 10, 2006

Angels Running, a tip of the hat to Patty Larkin

Chorus:
“All those angels runnin'
Picking up the pieces
Putting back together hearts broke long ago
I know a good thing when I see it
And's a bad thing to let go.”

A Patty Larkin tune has been running through my head a lot lately. I heard it on a Christmas Album that I was playing. The song called Good Thing, (aka Angles Running) is a bit abstract when you read the entire lyrics. It's the chorus that gets me. I've heard both Patty Larkin sing it and I've heard Cher sing it. Either one, their voices are clear and exacting enough that I can understand every word of the chorus.

There is a visual there that I can see with very clear eyes. I think it is because that so often I think that I do see the angels running through my life picking up the pieces. I don't think that they put them back together though. I believe that they give them to God and he puts them back together. Let's just call it a theology thing, however, I'll admit that the entire notion really has no scriptural or theological basis at all. God doesn't need someone running around my life picking up the pieces. Like I said, he puts them back together, I know that he picks them up himself. However, there is a certain romantic picture that is brought to mind when you see the angels running about picking up little pieces of what? Broken hearts.

Broken hearts, they can be broken for so many reasons. Surely, most people have a vision of the pieces of broken hearts being swept up and being put back together because of a lost love. I thought that I had that experience once, but my heart was broken not so much because of a lost love, but because of a dashed dream. I was young and had never experienced a, “loving relationship” like the kind that establishes communion between two people. I had been involved with an older man who I had expectations of, he couldn't meet them because he was seeing someone else without my knowledge. I walked away with a broken heart. The pieces didn't get put back together, the results have been long lasting.

Hearts can be broken when a job prospect doesn't come through, or when a life is lost or when the last dip of Mudslide ice cream has been sold at Baskin Robbins. ( I don't even know if they have a flavor like that.) Sometimes hearts are broken over the trivial and I can't imagine angels running in to pick up the parts to repair such things.

I had a dream once of owning my own business, I did for three years and when the bottom fell out of it because of the economy right after September 11th, well, I lost it back to the original owner, I was heart broken, but what's more, I was ruined. One of the verses of the song says, “I've been around, I've been up and down, until I bent out of control. With your world all in motion, you got to put a ball and chain on your soul.” This broken heart experience put a ball and chain on my soul. I do believe that the angels are still running to pick up those pieces and the ball and chain is in place until they can get it all back together. It hasn't stopped me, I grab the ball and carry it, but I also move slower because of it.
The pieces of my broken heart are often found when a gift I've given, time, talent or treasure falls victim to disrespect. I don't feel as though that I have much monetary treasure to offer the projects of the world, but I do have talent, I have the same 24 hours in my day that everyone else has, in fact there are days that if feels like I have two extra hours. (see the paragraph below.) My heart is broken when my gifts of time and talent are no more respected than the pennies that get kicked down the street because people don't see their worth. Alone they have very little to offer, but together they are of greater value. Were they people they may have a better attitude about understanding one another's gift being of value.

I see the, “angels running picking up the pieces,” when I realize that it isn't a sin to be single or lonely. Though I do feel shame from those emotions sometimes. I believe that the angels put those parts back together and put them back into me as quickly as they can. Pushing me out “there” in hopes that I will keep trying. Establishing friendships and relationships is hard for me because of that very first dashed dream.

Just as the first verse says, “Well, I've heard enough and I've seen enough and I know enough to know, I know a good thing when I see it, and it's a bad thing to let go.” Hope is what I've seen, heard and know enough to know. I think that it's important to add faith to that mix. I think that hope and faith is the epoxy that the angels use to put the hearts back together.

Imagine, “all those angels running,” it has to be a daunting task.

4 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, cheap jordans, uggs on sale, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, tiffany jewelry, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, christian louboutin, michael kors, burberry factory outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp bags, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin, ralph lauren polo, uggs outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, louis vuitton, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, longchamp outlet, michael kors handbags, ralph lauren outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet online, gucci handbags, louboutin uk, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, cheap oakley sunglasses

7:16 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon outlet, ray ban uk, nike air max pas cher, abercrombie and fitch UK, kate spade outlet, hermes pas cher, coach outlet, north face pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, converse, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, north face uk, burberry pas cher, hogan sito ufficiale, polo ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, nike roshe run pas cher, michael kors, nike free, lunette ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, nike air max, lunette oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, polo lacoste pas cher, nike roshe uk, longchamp soldes, jordan pas cher, sac guess pas cher, michael kors uk, coach purses, nike air force, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, longchamp pas cher, michael kors, new balance, nike free pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike tn pas cher, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, vanessa bruno pas cher

7:18 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose pas cher, canada goose jackets, lancel, replica watches, moncler jackets, moncler, converse shoes outlet, coach outlet, ray ban, pandora charms, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, supra shoes, sac louis vuitton, moncler outlet, ugg uk, bottes ugg pas cher, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses uk, hollister, barbour, swarovski jewelry, louis vuitton uk, juicy couture outlet, moncler, moncler uk, vans scarpe, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, links of london uk, moncler, doke & gabbana, moncler, sac louis vuitton, nike air max, hollister, louis vuitton, swarovski uk, pandora uk, karen millen uk, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, barbour jackets uk, canada goose, canada goose uk, canada goose, pandora jewelry, converse, gucci

7:22 PM  
Blogger AB78 said...

qzz0703
soccer jerseys
denver broncos jerseys
salomon shoes
fitflops
toms shoes
air max 95
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren pas cher
mavericks jerseys
y3 shoes

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home